Headlines

Tears, Hugs, and Relief: Emotional Scenes as Indians Evacuated from Iran Reunite with Families at Delhi Airport

Iran

Emotions ran high at Indira Gandhi International Airport on Saturday as hundreds of Indian nationals evacuated from war-torn Iran returned home to the warm embrace of their loved ones under the Indian government’s ongoing Operation Sindhu.

As passengers stepped out of the arrival gates, the terminal echoed with the sound of cheering, crying, and joyful reunions. Parents, spouses, and children broke down in tears as they embraced those returning from what many described as the most terrifying days of their lives.

“I still can’t believe I’m safe,” said Mir Khalif, a 21-year-old MBBS student who had been studying in Urmia, Iran. “Missiles fell near our hostel. We had no power, no internet. Every night, we didn’t know if we’d survive till morning.”

This was the third successful evacuation flight under Operation Sindhu, a special initiative launched by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to bring home Indian citizens amid intensifying conflict between Iran and Israel. Saturday’s flight carried nearly 290 evacuees, including students, professionals, and families.

The evacuees were brought out through coordinated efforts involving India’s embassies in Tehran, Yerevan (Armenia), and Ashgabat (Turkmenistan). With Iran briefly lifting its airspace restrictions, three charter flights were arranged to rescue citizens stranded in different parts of the country.

“We’ve already brought back over 500 Indian nationals safely,” said MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal. “More flights are being arranged. We’re in constant contact with our teams on the ground.”

Minister of State for External Affairs Kirti Vardhan Singh, who was present at the airport to receive the returnees, praised the swift diplomatic efforts and assured families that no Indian would be left behind.

🧳 Human Stories Behind the Headlines

Among those reunited were elderly parents, young children, and newly married spouses. A father waiting outside Terminal 3 broke down upon seeing his 19-year-old daughter return safely. Another woman carried a placard that read, “Welcome Home, Beta. The longest 10 days of my life are over.”

The evacuees were given food, medical check-ups, and transport assistance upon arrival. Volunteers and airport staff helped many reach connecting trains and buses to their hometowns across the country.

✅ Operation Sindhu: Key Stats

CategoryDetails
LaunchedJune 18, 2025
Total evacuated so far517+ Indians (as of June 21)
Routes usedIran → Armenia/Turkmenistan → India
Flights completed3 (Delhi landings on June 19, 20, 21)
More flights expectedYes — ongoing, MEA confirms

As tensions in the Middle East continue to rise, the Indian government has urged citizens still in Iran to register with the Indian embassy, stay in safe zones, and wait for further evacuation instructions.

For many families at the airport on Saturday, the joy of reunion outweighed the trauma of the past week.

“This is a second birth for my son,” said Rajesh Sharma, whose 23-year-old was studying dentistry in Iran. “Thank you, India. Thank you, Operation Sindhu.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *